- Modal pushover-based scaling of records for nonlinear RHA of one-story unsymmetric-plan buildings
- J.C. Reyes ; O.A. Quintero ; A.K. Chopra
- Book Title / Journal: Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- Keywords: ground motion record ; pushover ; nonlinear RHA ; amplitude scaling
- The modal-pushover-based-scaling (MPS) procedure, currently restricted to symmetric-plan buildings, is extended herein to unsymmetric-plan buildings. The accuracy of the extended MPS procedure was evaluated for a large set of three-degree-of-freedom unsymmetric-plan structures with variable stiffness and strength. The structures were subjected to nonlinear response history analysis considering sets of seven records scaled according to the MPS procedure. Structural responses were compared against the benchmark values, defined as the median values of the engineering demand parameters (EDPs) due to 30 unscaled records. This evaluation of the MPS procedure has led to the following conclusions: (1) The MPS procedure provided a highly accurate
estimate of the median EDPs and reduced the record-to-record variability of the responses. (2) The MPS procedure is found to be much superior compared to the ASCE/SEI 7-05 scaling procedure for three-dimensional analysis.