- Towards a Direct Displacement-Based Loss Assessment Methodology for RC Frame Buildings
- D.P. Welch ; T.J. Sullivan ; G.M. Calvi
- Book Title / Journal: Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- Keywords: displacement-based assessment ; simplified direct loss estimation ; RC frames
- Various loss assessment methodologies have been proposed and developed over the past few decades to provide risk assessment on a regional scale. There is an increasing need, however, to provide engineers with practical tools for building-specific loss assessment. Recently, progress has been made towards probabilistic building-specific loss models such as the PEER PBEE framework. However, as some consider that comprehensive probabilistic methodologies could be too complex for most practicing engineers, this paper presents a simplified probabilistic loss assessment methodology that builds on a direct displacement-based assessment framework. The simplified methodology attempts to incorporate critical aspects of comprehensive loss assessment models while maintaining a computational onus suitable for the design office. The trial methodology is tested via examination of a 4-storey RC frame building and encouragingly, the direct losses estimated by the new approach are found to be similar to those estimated by the PEER methodology.