- A ﬁnite element method enriched for wave propagation problems
- S. Ham ; K.J. Bathe
- Book Title / Journal: Computers and Structures
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series: 94-95
- Structural Analysis
- Keywords: Wave propagation ; Spectral methods ; Enriched ﬁnite elements
- An enriched finite element method is presented to solve various wave propagation problems. The
proposed method is an extension of the procedure introduced by Kohno, Bathe, and Wright for onedimensional problems . Specifically, the novelties are: two-dimensional problems are solved (and three-dimensional problems would be tackled similarly), a scheme is given to overcome ill-conditioning, the method is presented for time-dependent problems, and focus is on the solution of problems in solids and structures using real arithmetic only. The method combines advantages of finite element and spectral techniques, but an important point is that it preserves the fundamental properties of the finite element method. The general formulation of the procedure is given and various examples are solved to illustrate the capabilities of the proposed scheme.