- Seismic Behaviour of Masonry Arches with Tie-Rods: Dynamic Tests on a Scale Model
- C. Calderini ; S. Lagomarsino ; M. Rossi ; G. Decanio ; M.L. Mongelli ; I. Roselli
- Book Title / Journal: Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- Keywords: masonry arches ; Shaking table tests ; displacement capacity
- In arches and vaults, tie-rods play a decisive role in the control of horizontal thrusts produced by both permanent and seismic loadings. For these reasons, still today tie-rods are widely used as reliable technique for the reinforcement of masonry buildings. Usually, steel bars similar in size and shape to ancient ones and fixed to stonework by means of bolts or plates are adopted. However, some innovative solutions to improve the technique were recently proposed. The common aim of such solutions is to increase the displacement capacity and dissipation of the arch-pillars-rod system under seismic actions. In this paper, the effectiveness of flexible tie-rods to improve the seismic response of arch-pillars system is assessed by mean of shaking table tests and simple analytical models developed in the framework of performance-based design.