- An analytical procedure for the derivation of state-dependent fragility curves for masonry buildings
- M. Rota ; A. Mouyiannou ; F. Graziotti ; G. Magenes ; A Penna
- Book Title / Journal: Vienna Congress on Recent Advances in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics 2013 (VEESD 2013), C. Adam, R. Heuer, W. Lenhardt & C. Schranz (Eds.), Vienna, Austria, Paper
- Year: 2013 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- The seismic capacity of a structure is a function of the characteristics of the system and of its state,
which is mainly affected by previous damage and deterioration. The effect of repeated shocks (for example
during a seismic sequence or due to multiple events affecting an unrepaired building stock) on the seismic
vulnerability of masonry buildings is considered in this work by developing state-dependent fragility curves.
These curves only take into account cumulated seismic damage, neglecting possible ageing effects. An analytical
procedure for the derivation of fragility curves is proposed, which is based on nonlinear dynamic analyses with a
large set of unscaled natural records. To speed up computational time, analyses are carried out using an
equivalent single-degree-of-freedom system, properly calibrated to reproduce the cyclic dynamic response of the
selected building prototype.
- Enhancement of the seismic performance of AAC masonry by means of flat-truss bed-joint reinforcement
- A. Penna ; G. Magenes ; M. Rota ; M- Mandirola
- Book Title / Journal: 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- Keywords: horizontally reinforced masonry ; cyclic tests ; displacement capacity
- Only few experimental tests are available in the literature on bed-joint reinforced load-bearing masonry. These are performed on prototypes with different masonry typologies, often reduced scale and, in any case, only for a small number of combinations of slenderness, axial load and boundary conditions. This work presents the results
of an experimental campaign including in-plane cyclic tests on autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) masonry panels with thin bed- and head-joints filled with glue-mortar. Some of the specimens are made of unreinforced masonry, whilst in other the masonry walls are reinforced by means of bed-joint flat-truss reinforcement only. Based on the results of these tests, complemented by specific tests performed on wallettes realised with the two
different construction techniques, a possible strength criterion is proposed. The results indicate that the inclusion of bed-joint reinforcement has the double effect of improving masonry resistance and displacement capacity, hence reducing damage.
- A procedure for deriving analytical fragility curves for masonry buildings.
- M. Rota ; G. Magenes ; A. Penna
- 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, Paper 14-09-01-0149.
- Book Title / Journal:
- Year: 2008 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering PDF