- Seismic Assessment of a 15-Story Building Damaged in the Chile Earthquake of February 27th 2010
- M. Kohrangi ; T.J. Sullivan ; G.M. Calvi
- Book Title / Journal: Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal
- Year: 2012 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- Keywords: seismic assessment ; Chile earthquake
- This paper considers the seismic assessment of a 15-storey RC structural wall building, Alto Rio,
located in the city of Concepción that collapsed in the M8.8 Chile earthquake of Feb 27th 2010. Different methods of assessment, based on FEMA356, are applied to examine if the observed damage could have been anticipated. Results show that FEMA356 assessment methods would have identified that the building was likely to be damaged in a major earthquake. Severe irregularities and discontinuity of walls at the base of the structure, in general, and lack of ductile detailing in walls and coupling beams are identified as the likely reasons for the damage. In addition to this assessment, the design procedures that are expected to have been used for the original design of the building are reviewed. The results showed that in applying the code design procedure, wall axial tensile forces were probably underestimated and improved capacity design procedures should be implemented.