- The behavior of single span stone masonry skew arches.
- V. Sarhosis ; D.V. Oliveira ; J. Lemos ; Y. Sheng ; P.B. Lourenço
- Book Title / Journal: ARCH’13 – 7th International Conference on Arch Bridges, Split, Croatia,
- Year: 2013 , Volume: , Series:
- Structure types ; Masonry Structures
- The work reported in this paper summarises the development and results
obtained from a 3D computational model, using the distinct element software 3DEC, that
was used to investigate the effect of the angle of skew on the load carrying capacity of
sixteen different single span stone masonry arches. The variables investigated in the
research were the arch span, the span : rise ratio and the skew angle. In order to gain an
understanding of the behaviour of the arches, no attempts were made to model the effects of
fill, spandrel walls or any other construction details. For each model, a full width vertical
line load was applied incrementally to the extrados at quarter span until collapse. At each
load increment the predicted crack development and vertical deflection profile was
recorded. The results are compared with similar “square” (or regular) arches in order to
identify the influence of skew on the behaviour of the arches.