- An analytical procedure for the derivation of state-dependent fragility curves for masonry buildings
- M. Rota ; A. Mouyiannou ; F. Graziotti ; G. Magenes ; A Penna
- Book Title / Journal: Vienna Congress on Recent Advances in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics 2013 (VEESD 2013), C. Adam, R. Heuer, W. Lenhardt & C. Schranz (Eds.), Vienna, Austria, Paper
- Year: 2013 , Volume: , Series:
- Earthquake engineering
- The seismic capacity of a structure is a function of the characteristics of the system and of its state,
which is mainly affected by previous damage and deterioration. The effect of repeated shocks (for example
during a seismic sequence or due to multiple events affecting an unrepaired building stock) on the seismic
vulnerability of masonry buildings is considered in this work by developing state-dependent fragility curves.
These curves only take into account cumulated seismic damage, neglecting possible ageing effects. An analytical
procedure for the derivation of fragility curves is proposed, which is based on nonlinear dynamic analyses with a
large set of unscaled natural records. To speed up computational time, analyses are carried out using an
equivalent single-degree-of-freedom system, properly calibrated to reproduce the cyclic dynamic response of the
selected building prototype.