- Steel Bridge Design Handbook: Bridge Deck Design
- B. Chavel
- Book Title / Journal: Steel Bridge Design Handbook
- Year: 2012 , Volume: 17 , Series: FHWA-IF-12-052
- Bridge management ; Bridges
- Keywords: Steel Bridge ; Deck Design ; Concrete Deck ; Precast Concrete Deck
- The primary function of a bridge deck is to support the vehicular vertical loads and distribute these loads to the steel superstructure. This module provides practical information regarding the decking options and design considerations for steel bridges, presenting deck types such as concrete deck slabs, metal grid decks, orthotropic steel decks, wood decks, and several others. The choice of the particular deck type to use can depend on several factors, which may include the specific application, initial cost, life cycle cost, durability, weight, or owner requirements. For the deck types discussed herein, a brief description of the particular deck type is given, in addition to general design and detail considerations.