- Steel Bridge Design Handbook Design Example 2B: Two-Span Continuous Straight Composite Steel Wide-Flange Beam Bridge
- K. Barth
- Book Title / Journal:
- Year: 2012 , Volume: 22 , Series: No. FHWA-IF-12-052
- Bridge management ; Bridges
- Keywords: Steel Bridge ; Steel wide-flange beam ; Moment Redistribution ; AASHTO LRFD ; Wind on Structure
- This design example presents an alternative design for that presented in the Steel Bridge Design Handbook Design Example 2A. Specifically, the design of a continuous steel wide-flange beam bridge is presented using a standard shape rolled I-beam, as an alternative to the plate girder design. The AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications are the governing specifications and all aspects of the provisions applicable to wide-flange beam bridge design (cross-section proportion limits, constructibility, serviceability, fatigue, and strength requirements) are considered. Furthermore, the optional moment redistribution specifications will be invoked. In addition to the beam design, the design of the concrete deck is also included. A basic wind analysis of the structure is also presented.