- Steel Bridge Design Handbook Design Example 2A: Two-Span Continuous Straight Composite Steel I-Girder Bridge
- K. Barth
- Book Title / Journal:
- Year: 2012 , Volume: 21 , Series: FHWA-IF-12-052
- Bridge management ; Bridges
- Keywords: Steel Bridge ; Steel I-Girder ; Moment Redistribution ; Cross Frame Design
- The purpose of this example is to illustrate the use of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design for the design of a continuous two span steel I-girder bridge. The design process and corresponding calculations for steel I-girders are the focus of this example, with particular emphasis placed on illustration of the optional moment redistribution procedures. All aspects of the girder design are presented, including evaluation of the following: cross-section proportion limits, constructibility, serviceability, fatigue, and strength requirements. Additionally, the weld design for the web-to-flange joint of the plate girders is demonstrated along with all applicable components of the stiffener design and cross frame member design.