- Behavior of Beam-to-Column Joints Under Large Vertical Displacements Following the Loss of a Column
- Z. DŘEVĚNÝ
- Book Title / Journal: University of Timisoara
- Year: 2014 , Volume: , Series: M.Sc. Thesis
- Structural Analysis
- Keywords: beam to column joints ; Columns ; large vertical displacements
- In past years terrorist attacks became more frequent especially in developed countries
and the consequencess got more devastating. The aim of this disertation is to give better
understanding of mechanisms which could improove overal safety in buildings, in means of preventing progressive collapse and preclude disasters. This so called robustness assessment gains attention also because the current standards do not include
sufficient provisions for the cases of accidental loading and do not track the current trends in structure design, such a use of nescessary software.
The activity within the present dissertation work has been supported in the framework of
the ”Structural conception and Collapse control performance based DEsign of multistory
structures under aCcidental actions” CODEC (2012-2015) research programme, partially funded by the Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI), Romania, under grant PN II PCCA 55/2012.
The thesis examines the catenary effect and role of connections by means of numerical simulations which precede planned experimental tests. The document will present the framework of the theme and the modeling process starting with its validation and finnishing with expected results and conclusions.